Difference in CT Leads from AccuEnergy H040-50:333

Hoping to get some additional support around the differences in CT leads from Accuenergy. So, i got a bunch of H040-50:50mA-1.5M-3.5mmj leads when I purchased my unit which seem to work great. I had the opportunity to purchase a bunch more CT leads that share the H040-50 part number and didn’t think much of it. Leads didn’t come with 3.5mm jacks to I went ahead and soldered them on, not a big deal. Upon further inspection, the leads I got are actually H040-50:333mv leads and instead of a 50mA output like the orginal, the new ones have a 333mV output and I am not sure if they are compatible. If they are, how should I set them up within the setup GUI? Appreciate the help in advance!

Those are “voltage” type CTs. They are not compatible with IoTaWatt which requires 0-50mA output CTs.

Appreciate the insight. Not sure why AccuEnergy would use the same model number for two fundamentally different products. I also don’t even see a reference to mA output CT’s on their website, spec sheet only discuses the “safe 333mA output”. Obviously nothing to do with the Iotawatt, just disappointed I managed to waste $ on a product that wont work. Again, I appreciate the help!

All of the CT manufacturers offer their products with a variety of outputs: 333mV, 1V, 10mA, 20mA, 50mA, 1A, 5A etc.

With voltage output, there is a burden resistor in the CT, hence the “safe” statement. IoTaWatt 50mA CTs have a diode to short the CT when it is not burdened, so they are also “safe” in the same sense.

While 333mV is common and popular, I favor the mA output because it is not affected by the resistance of the cord and any extensions that may be used (up to a point).

“While 333mV is common and popular, I favor the mA output because it is not affected by the resistance of the cord and any extensions that may be used (up to a point).”

I’m a bit confused about your last statement. Isn’t the resistance of the cord and and extensions used negligible (up to a point) in comparison to the input impedance of your device?