Power Draw with Circuit off?

Hello there,

I have a newly installed iotawatt unit for my home in the US. My dryer circuit is a 30amp 2-pole breaker with one black and one red wire attached to the breaker and I believe I saw a neutral and ground wire coming from the same cable.

Because of that, I put one CT clamp on the black wire and one on the red (50amp Ct).

I just noticed that for the past few hours, the CT clamp was reading ~120watt power draw on the red wire despite the dryer not running. I manually turned off the breaker but am still getting a constant 21watt reading. What gives?

Thanks

Sounds like you might have things configured and/or hooked up differently than you think/reality.

Pull the CTs from the input and see what Iotawatt reads.

My Iotawatt reads no more than 100mW when there is nothing hooked up. This is with a 50A CT. With the breaker off you should be reading less than 500mW for sure. With the breaker on, 120W seems excessive if the dryer is actually off.

When my dryer is off, it draws 1-2W on one leg and the other shows 100-200mW, which is just noise.

I swapped the headphone end between the black CT and the RED one and the odd reading followed the red CT (for the minute or so it was unplugged,the reading went to 0). It’s now reading 16watts for the past ~50 mins (with that circuit breaker manually switched off).

Pictures of your setup?
More information about your setup US split phase or 3 phase, etc?
Which CT are you using?
Maybe it is not closed properly?
Maybe there is something very strange going on in your panel.

I figured it out!

It was user error. When tracing the cable to label the wires, I crossed the bedroom CT with the Dryer CT. Apologies all.

2 Likes