Emoncms cloud connectivity help

so i’ve created an account at emoncms.org and set up the emoncms web server in IotaWatt configuration page

however when i try to view the data on a graph in emoncms.org im getting errors even though it looks like the data is being sent to the emoncms cloud (according to screenshot #1)

what am i doing wrong here?

Could you expand the input process list in each of the emoncms inputs by clicking the little wrench and post those?

@overeasy so i started over with a new emoncms connection
here is the inputs page

here are the settings for input 2 and 3 (which is main 1 & 2 on the load center, input 1 is voltage reading)

it seems to be populating something on the graphs now, however, doesn’t look like all the historical has loaded for the last two days, does it usually take some time for the data feed to catch up to real time?

It should only take a few minutes to load history. Emoncms won’t let you rewrite history though. It looks like you have history for test1, but test2 appears to start a little before 8 on your graph. Is it possible that you didn’t configure that input before then?

Lets take a look. Can you run the local graph app at iotawatt.local and plot those two inputs for the last day?

@overeasy
here is iotawatt local showing both inputs configured for the last couple of days

here is emoncms.org graph again with missing data

@overeasy it’s not a big deal if the all the history didn’t get posted to emoncms.org. More important things to spend time working on.

If i wanted to use the IotaWatt and push the real-time data to my own cloud server on AWS, how would i proceed to doing that? can you please point me to the the technical documentation that shows the code that would need to be written so that IotaWatt can communicate directly with the AWS database?

Does IotaWatt use JSON via HTTP API to send data to emoncms.org or influx DB?

thanks!

Hmmm. There is a little catch-22 here with emoncms. I’m guessing that you defined the new node in your IoTaWatt and saved it, which started the emoncms process and started uploading the historical data.

IoTaWatt gets an acknowledgement when the data is posted to the input and moves on to the next frame. Emoncms has created new inputs but doesn’t yet have input processes defined to save the data that is streaming in. So it just gets dropped.

While this is going on, you are in Emoncms defining the input processes, It looks like you did main1 first and so from that point on, the data coming in for input1 is posted to the feed. In the time it takes you to define the input process for input2,
a day’s worth of history has arrived. The main1 data is going to the feed, but your main2 is dropped until you save the new input process list for main2. From then on, it all works as expected.

So what to do? It’s a catch-22, but you can get around it.

First, stop the Emoncms process in IoTaWatt with the STOP button in the Emoncms tab in the status display.

Now go into Emoncms and delete the inputs and feeds that were created.

Go back to IoTaWatt and START the Emoncms process. As soon as it starts, STOP it again.

The inputs should recreated in Emoncms.

Redefine the feeds. I’d suggest you also add a"Power to kWh" feed after the “log to Power”. If you add that later, Emoncms will only start posting to it from the time you add it.

START the Emoncms process in IoTaWatt. It should continue where it left off uploading history, and the data should be posted to the feeds that you defined.

That would depend on the database. If you use influxDB, there is native support in IoTaWatt that is documented

The specs for the Emoncms feeds can be found in the Emoncms documentation.
The specs for the influDB measurements can be found in the influDB documentation.
The specs for the PVoutput feed can be found in the PVoutput HELP document.

thanks @overeasy just for clarity, if i wanted the data to be pushed to a database that’s not one of the three you listed then that would or would not be possible with the current setup?

also, with regards to influx DB, is the IotaWatt configured for a local instance of influx DB or the cloud version? I have the cloud version and seem to have some issues that I’ve brought up in the other thread here Unable to connect to influxDB - #4 by overeasy

influx DB support is helping me reset my server so i’ll try connecting IotaWatt to influx cloud again after that is done.

Out of the box, no. It’s all open, so if you want to write your own service, have at it. Out of curiosity, what other database do you have in mind?

As far as I know, there is no difference in the HTTP interface. I didn’t pop $240/month for an instance to test it on influxcloud, but I see no issue. I think it’s an authorization problem.

They gave you the CLI credentials. Id encourage you to read up on that so you can see what’s going on in your database and what series are being created. I test against a RPi instance.

@overeasy

Out of the box, no. It’s all open, so if you want to write your own service, have at it. Out of curiosity, what other database do you have in mind?

if i wanted to do it in amazon redshift for example

As far as I know, there is no difference in the HTTP interface. I didn’t pop $240/month for an instance to test it on influxcloud, but I see no issue. I think it’s an authorization problem.

the IotaWatt documentation for influx DB specifically mentioned that the url must begin with http instead of https

my influx db instance is https, it sounds like you’re saying that this can’t be an issue

`

They gave you the CLI credentials. Id encourage you to read up on that so you can see what’s going on in your database and what series are being created. I test against a RPi instance.

could you please point me to the right direction where i can read up on how to use the CLI and test against a RPi instance? also, would i be able to use my windows machine for CLI or it needs to run on Raspberry Pi?

thanks so much!
`

IoTaWatt does not have the capability to do HTTPS. Not enough memory for TLS or SSL. HTTPS is an option in the open version. If they are requiring that you use it, you would need to do something with a reverse proxy like nginx as a bridge to HTTPS.

You should be able to use anything that can run an SSH session. I use PUTTY on a windows machine to log into my RPi instance of influx to use the CLI.

thanks @overeasy will take a look at this doc.
when you say

HTTPS is an option in the open version

which device are you referring to?

I’m referring to influDB. My understanding is that there is the open version and an enterprise version that I believe is used for influxcloud on AWS, but not an expert on that.