Has anyone looked at Echun ECS06

Hi,
Prior to purchasing the IotaWatt, I’m looking for CT’s that will physically fit into the breaker box.
In the box I have 14 20A breakers and space is very tight.
For size and capacity these look promising, and I’m curious is they have been used with Iotawatt. http://www.echun-elc.com/UploadFiles/2017111814217533.pdf
Thanks

Hi @coyote,
I have not tried these out. They look suspiciously like the YHDC STC006, which I do not recommend. If space is an issue, consider using solid core CTs. They are not only the lowest cost, they perform better than the split-core equivalents.

1 Like

I know this is old, but did you @coyote, end up using the ECS06-20? If so, what were your results?

@overeasy I have (for better or worse!), a few dozen of these I need to use. The exact spec is ECS06-20 with 20A/20mA with TVS and 6’ leads. Two questions for you:

1. I understand accuracy might be poorish, but should I we expect them to work?
  2. I’ll use 1000 turns and a phase of 0.1. Is the correct?

Cheers, Brett

Ps. For others searching here, the solid core ECO-L09 work well for me.

No, I ended up using solid core as suggested

I have samples of ECS0625 that I tested some time ago.

Of course they work, but not particularly well with IoTaWatt and like other small lightweight CTs, much worse at 50 Hz than at 60Hz.

At 50Hz they begin to saturate at about 18A and quickly go downhill after that.

As you can see, at 50Hz the two samples tested were quite a bit different. I decided not to go ant further, but I do have four samples so I’ll test all of them at 50Hz to try to get a better picture and see if the red plot was just an outlier.

As you can see, somewhere between 2 and 4 is a better fit. IoTaWatt actually has a stepped correction system where the correction can be a function of frequency and primary amps. I’ll develop the table entry for that and publish after I’ve tested again.

There are other new table entries for the newer Radio Parts VT and the Talema solid core CTs.

EDIT: This CT might work much better with a 10 Ohm burden. I have the ability to use them in the ESP32 version, and have not decided yet whether to make that standard. In general, most CTs should perform better with lower shift if I use 10Ohm burden. I need to evaluate the impact of noise at lower voltages.

Thanks for the info.

I’ll use phase=3 for now and await the curves. I now understand the p50 and p60 properties in config.txt, which I’ve wondered about.

My take on accuracy: from an ‘installer’ point of view, I don’t need much accuracy on small CTs because I use larger ones for the incomer (i.e. overall) figures, and smaller ones for a ‘pie chart’ breakdown. On some boards these are the only CTs that fit. Typical loads are max 10A (240V).