Automated Alert if Current is Outside Set Parameters

We have a few scenarios where we really need alerts if a breaker has tripped (critical servers, med equipment breakers, etc). They’re supplied via UPS units that provide battery backup, but the UPS units available in our region (Southern Africa) don’t have options to link to the cloud. From looking at emoncms chart, we can easily see when a breaker trips cause the current goes to 0.

Is there a way in IotaWatt or Emoncms or other idea someone has to get email alert when a feed current goes outside of a defined range?

This looks like a good Node-RED application. Is there anybody proficient in that who can help get this user started in that direction?

You could used via influx and grafana with alerts I would suggest.

I use Grafana and Influx and have a text message sent if say my barn lights were left on or if the well pump run to long (water left running) or the big one if my freezer is outside of range.

Yep node-red is an easy one for this - happy to help them out if they do not feel like diving into Grafana and influx

Craig

Hey guys! I am looking for this functionality as well - would love to receive email alerts if certain circuits draw more or less than expected. Is Node-RED still the recommended solution here? Would that integrate directly with IotaWatt, or would that be an IotaWatt → InfluxDB → Node-RED deployment?

There are a few ways top do it, here are a few:

• As you said, Node-RED is capable of doing just about anything. You can have it query the IoTaWatt directly or go through something like influxDB.

• PVoutput has the ability to send alerts based on min/max of extended parameters. You would need to be in donator mode (about $15AUD/yr I believe)

• eMoncms has an alert capability.

• Home assistant can issue alerts either as email or SMS.

• influxcloud appears to have an alert capability based on periodic flux queries.

I’m sure there are more.

Thank you! I’ve installed Home Assistant and am playing around with it. You don’t happen to have an integration guide specifically for IotaWatt, do you?

For just integrating the IoTaWatt, their online guide is OK. If you have PV and want to track energy import/export through the home assistant Energy Component, there are some additional considerations in the IoTaWatt Docs here.

I am trying to configure alerts based on accumulated energy usage over a custom period of time. For example, if my well exceeds 36 Wh in a 30-minute timeframe. Measuring point-in-time values would not be sufficient. Do you know how I might define the timeframe used for the accumulated energy source?

No experience with HASS alerts. You might want to try asking the question on the HASS forum.