Best way to get support

The forum is absolutely the best way to get help with IoTaWatt issues.

• It’s easy to compose the message and very easy to include screenshots, uploads, quoted text etc.
  • The entire context of the problem is contained in the single forum thread, which helps me to switch gears if I’m juggling several problems at once.
  • If the session is public, I can subsequently refer others with the same issue to any resolution contained in the thread.
  • Most importantly, I check the forum much more often than email.

I realize that some don’t want to converse in a public forum. If that’s a concern, you can use the Private Message (PM) facility to create a new private thread. Simply click on my avatar image and select image .

2 Likes

This doesn’t work. I click on your avatar but there is no message option. I bought this hardware on the advice of a friend, and have had an electrician install the device on our electrical panel, but I now have no idea what to do. I was under the impression (mistakenly) that there was a readily-insallable app that I just needed to download to start monitoring but its clear that is not the case. Can you tell me what I need to do now? Do I need a techie to come get this set up using the git repo? And if so, what do they need to do? Which threads best describe what needs to happen now? I expect the answer is here, but I don’t really understand which would be the right one(s) for this question.

Hello @reneeeblack,

Sorry if you feel the device has been misrepresented.

There should have been a “Getting Started” slip of paper in the order folded inside the invoice. It points you to the online installation documentation.

If you follow the guide step by step you should see some results pretty quickly. You don’t need to do nything on Github. You only need to connect it to WiFi and configure which CTs are installed in the inputs and label them.

If you feel this is more than you can do, or cannot get it working for any reason, I’ll be happy to accept a return. It’s not a consumer gadget and so isn’t appropriate for everyone.

No I think this is more a case that I didn’t do my homework, so this is on me. But in any case, thanks for the quick response. I am not at my cottage again till December so I will try this when I get back. I just want to make sure that I have the info I need to get this sorted when I get there.

A few specific questions:

1.Looking at the documentation on connecting to wifi, will I need to disconnect it and reconnect it again to get the AP mode?
2. You write that “It will broadcast an SSID recognizable by the prefix” - where do I see that? Do I just enter the IP? If not, how do I access that on my tablet or laptop?

If you remove the USB power supply and reconnect, the AP mode SSID will appear for three minutes.

Your phone or laptop should have a WIFI configuration page, and in addition to showing the currently connected WIFI network, will show, or present an option to show, available wifi networks.

Locate the IoTaxxxxx network and connect to it. You will be asked for the pasword (IoTaWatt) and it will connect. Wait a few moments and the captive portal configuration page should appear as in the docs. Select your WiFi network, enter your network key, and it should connect.

Switch your mobile device to the same network and browse to IoTaWatt.local.

I think what is missing in ‘how to contact’ is that you apparently must create an account and login before being able to post a topic or to have ‘clicking the avatar’ and having the Message icon enabled. Might want to add that to the explanation there because it’s easily overlooked, as it happened to me.