ECS 200amp CT OK on mains bus bar?

The directions for the CTs in my IoTaWatt US Bundle indicate these are best suited to the mains. Looking at my panel, I have some mains that are not insulated and no cable available past the 200amp main breaker that I can clamp on to.

I’m (probably my electrician) planning on attaching the clamp onto the bus bar between the meter and the breaker but wondered if anyone encountered this type of box before?

Haven’t had this come up before. If you give the model of the CT, I can provide a link to the manufacturer data sheet. Your electrician should make the call as to whether it complies with your applicable codes.

Thanks for the quick response, I’m installing the 2 mains CT’s I got with the US bundle, Current Transformer 200A x 24mm split-core × 2. The model number is ECS24200 I believe.

The data sheet is here: http://www.echun-elc.com/UploadFiles/201711181435241.pdf

@wmahoney I just moved into a new house and have what appears to be the exact same panel with those “uninsulated mains”. How did it work out for you? Did you connect the CT’s at the locations indicated in the pic you provided?

The ECS24200 is no longer stocked. It has been superseded by the AcuCT-H100-200, which is more or less the same dimensions and specs. So if the ECS24200 worked for @wmahoney, the Acu should work as well. But I would recommend that you consider the ECS25200 clamp-on CT because it’s easier to install and doesn’t require snapping shut around the exposed busbars.

Which clamp did you end up using, did you have issues installing it? Looking at buying as well and my panel is similar.

@mnick4, @wmahoney,

Anybody have success clamping on the buss bars? Please advise @Ehinkle27.

Yeah I installed it on the bus bars with no issues.

1 Like

Where are people mounting the controller, originally thought about drilling through my wall and mounting inside, but looks like the cables from the bus bar would not be long enough to run down the bottom of the panel out through the back and up a wall.

There are quite a few pictures of people’s different installs. It is reasonably easy to add extensions to CTs. It depends on how many CTs you have and how many/what size conduits you have for the CT cables. I would (and did) put a box close enough to the panel to allow adding an extension or big enough to hold the IotaWatt. It also depends on how strong the Wi-Fi signal is where the panel is.

Figured I would post an update, I was able to get the CT’s around the bus bar. Below is a picture of them installed.