Graph+ suggestion : Custom option for "Group"

Hi,

I searched in the forums and did not see anything about this… sorry if I missed it.

It would be great if we could set a custom duration for the averaging in Graph+ instead of relying on the auto, hourly, daily, etc. options. Or maybe have a bit more control on what “auto” does?

Keep up the good work!

What did you have in mind? The current auto value is a fairly complicated algorithm designed to give a grouping that yields around 720 data points to plot, which is about optimal for the plot.

The daily, weekly, etc presets are handled in a different way. IoTaWatt recognizes these (via query) so that it takes into consideration DST changes, daily, weekly, and monthly boundaries.

Using an arbitrary grouping can have unpredictable results. You can do the query directly and get whatever grouping you want, but figuring out what to do with that and how to graph it gets complicated in Graph+.

I see… would it be possible to enter the number of data points that we want the algorithm to use instead of having it fixed to 720? Depending on the screen size and resolution, it would be nice to be able to customize this. I guess I could also change it in the code, but then I would have to maintain my own fork just for this small change. Also, I don’t really know how to code more than “Hello World”. :frowning:

It would be nice also to have more choices for the date ranges that are auto calculated. Instead of having so many options in that menu (last 10 minutes, last 30 minutes, last 2 days, etc.), I would split this in 2 boxes : one with a numerical value and the other for the type of range. For example :

box 1 : Last X days, Last X months, Last X minutes, etc.
box 2 : Either a box to enter a number directly or a few options (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 30, 60, 90, 120)

You can’t please all the people all the time.

If you want more control, you will be best served by learning about Grafana and Influxdb. Grafana gives you an impressive amount of control over the look/feel/action/content of the dashboard.

It will require some investment in time to try things out and learn how to get what you want.

Thanks for the tip… I will definitly try that!