IotaWatt keeps rebooting -- stopped sending data to EmonCMS and PVOutput

yes it is:

"format": 2,
	"timezone": "-5",
	"update": "NONE",
	"device": {

I’m trying to figure out what is going on. This doesn’t appear to be happening anywhere else but Australia and maybe New Zealand. I have fixed the Cloudflare cache and it seems to be working here.

As above, can you download the release file with a PC and the JS debugger and see what is returned in the response header cf-cache-status?

If it helps I can host a copy locally for you?

Although i just saw your update, and it appears that the issue has been resolved RE cloudflare. Should we now be good to go to re-enable updates ?

I wouldn’t recommend it. There still appears to be a serous problem downloading the new release. I don’t have a lot to go on except the request rates from Australia and New Zealand. I believe the Cloudflare cache should be working there, but have not received any feedback on that as requested above.

If the cache is working, I’m at a loss to understand:

Why this problem has just surfaced when the underlying firmware issue has been around for months.

Why, out of thousands of attempts, a system does not eventually succeed.

I could be all wrong and this could be a firmware fault, but the exact same download had been working for months. So I’m wondering if there could be throttling that has been implemented by an ISP or other provider along the chain? Don’t know what the state of net neutrality is down there, but is it possible that bandwidth is being controlled in response to increased video streaming, and preferential/detrimental treatment is at play? I realize these would seem to be crazy, but I am at a loss to understand why this appears to be unique to Oceania.

@overeasy
Thanks for all your assistance. I managed to fluke my second device in “none” for updates so it now back online with both devices. Im unable to have a look at your request until tomorrow, its outside my knowledge but I’ll get there with the help of Dr Google.
Thanks again

That won’t be necessary. I’ve made some progress and have a mitigation strategy in place. I’m quite confident now that the cache is working.

Without getting into details, you would do well to download a fresh copy of the 02_05_08 release and use the manual installation procedure to update both of your systems.

So if we manually update to 08, we should then be able to turn MINOR release back on?

It’s moot. I have disabled MINOR for the time being and 08 is current for MINOR.

Thanks for all your help with this one.

Again - if you need someone to host a mirror locally dont hesitate to reach out :slight_smile:

Hi

If it helps I have also had this problem and I’m also in Australia my unit was stuck in some sort of boot loop.

looking at the serial out it appaired to be stuck upgrading from 20_05_07 to 20_05_08 and was being rest by the watchdog timer

What I found was after loading the SD card on my computer as i could not get access via the web UI was I had a file in the download folder 20_05_08.bin that was 0 bits in size.

After deleting this my unit stabilised and I could set it to no updates as mentioned above then I manual uploaded the new bin file and started the upgrade process http://192.168.1.49/update?release=02_05_08

after restarting its now working again.

I was thinking on system restart maybe it should just delete any files zero bits in size in the upload folder so it can automatically try again if there is some sort of dropout or file corruption.

Anyway this was my first and only issue in the 6 months I have been using the unit and I’m very happy with it in general.

Cheers!!

1 Like

Thanks for report. I’v been working on understanding this issue for several weeks. My estimation is that it is effecting about 14 units in Australia and New Zealand, and one in Finland. I will try to recreate what you describe.

It would be very helpful to see the message log from your unit. You should be able to download it now, and upload in a PM.

I could be missing something, but the firmware deletes both the file and directory prior to creating a new file and downloading the new release. So it’s possible the empty file is a red-herring. The message log may reveal some other clues.