Iotawatt posting to Influx running in Home assistant

Hello community,

do you think that is possible to send data from Iotawatt to Influxdb running locally in a Homeassistant in a Raspberry Pi 4?
I was reading also topic regarding send data via MQTT to another system or Homeassistant.
what is your opinion, to continue investigating sending data via Influx or trying via MQTT?
it will be very nice for me to can add data from Iotawatt on Homeassistant; if someone have experience with this,please share.

What do you want to do with the data in HA?
I just started using HA and it looks interesting, I haven’t looked at how HA uses InfluxDB, but I have seen how OpenHAB uses it. Each of these systems wants to be the “owner” of the data and give you the ability to convert data from some other format into something HA (or OH, or whatever) can understand and use,

I finally took the time to understand how IotaWatt uses InfluxDB and found that it allows a lot of flexibility in configuration of how it stores the data. From there, I am using Grafana to get usable graphs and statistics so I can understand my consumption. I don’t use the data from IotaWatt for control. I have sensors (using Tasmota mostly) for that and I use Node-RED for controlling things. I found OH to be not really worth it (for me, lots of people love it).

I plan on doing some control in HA to see if it can make anything easier. Most most complex (and not really that complex) are:

1. Control of dehumidification of basement and calculate the energy consumption and efficiency (by measuring the water removed). The hardest part is calculating the efficiency.
  2. Control of shower fan. It is actually fairly simple, comes on when the humidity rises quickly or goes above 70% (mostly it triggers on 70%). It stays on until the humidity drops below 50% or stays “constant” for about 30min.

So, mostly I find the graphing in Grafana to be a good choice. It has a LOT of flexibility. It also has some bugs, so it is important to be current.

There has been talk of using the web API (via Node-RED) to provide data to HA. I have not seen any examples of this yet, but I suspect it is not too hard to do.

frogmore,

I can’t speak to others needs but I can speak to mine. I am a long time HA user and I am researching iotawatt to replace my sense.

I use MQTT with HA and NodeRed to run routines in my home. I have the variable pricing electricity available in Texas, griddy also. With these things together, I turn off the A/C or other devices based on the price per kWh. MQTT functions more as current state than a time series database like InfluxDb does. Time series is good for look back and trending, but I want to know the state of my electricity consumption now if that price is high now.

HA helps tie it all together in one place. It integrates with my Google hubs and chromecasts, and I can create dashboards with different security profiles for my kids.

Look at this custom component. I’ve been using it for past 1 mth no issues. Once setup, HA will detect all your Iotawatt input/outputs as sensors.

Klingon,

Could you explain exactly how you set it up? I got as far as installing on the HA, with the link you provided, but no sensors are created in HA. Thanks!!

Thats strange. Mine just worked following the instructions. Did you restart HA? When you click on Configuration> Integrations, do you see iotawatt in the panels? Have you checked your HA logs for any error msgs? Someone else had some issues and the developer suggested removing and re-installing the integration. May be worth a shot.

Yes, finally got it to work. I cleared cache on chrome rebooted and it now works. Oh what a learning curve!!, LOL Thanks for your help!!!

Hello,

please, tell me which files need to be downloaded and how…
thank you

Just follow the step by step instructions I posted in the link above. You will need to download all the files from github (incl the ‘translations’ dir) to your /config/custom_components/iotawatt directory. Read thru the entire thread first as some users shared their installation problems and ways around it. As I stated, I had no issues and it just worked for me.