Issues with data in Home Assistant

I am sure this is a setup problem… Any help appreciated!

I am sure most of my problem is Home Assistant related - so have posted the same info on the HA forum… but #3 below I think is related to the IotaWatt setup - so please bear with me to get to #3 :slight_smile:

I have 3 phase power, with solar on each phase. I face the same issue on all 3 phases, so my Graphana graphs only show one phase to make things a bit clearer.


  1. My night rate import Wh correctly shows import from 0000-0600hrs. But does not record any import from 2100-0000hrs. My day / night change over looks correct, and there should be some import happening.
  2. My day rate import Wh correctly shows import from 0600 until my solar kicks in. But then as the sun goes down, no import is recorded between around 1900 - 2100hrs (there should be import happening).

The top graph shows un-split import/export - this looks correct - it is just the day / night recordings which are wrong, despite the day / night change over looking correct (second image). So I think this may be a HA issue? How do I debug / investigate this?

  1. The 4th graph shows cumulative export Wh. At around 1900hrs this starts decreasing. It is Export - so should never decrease - it should stop when there is no solar. This looks to be a raw data issue?

The HA ‘Energy Usage’ graph appears wrong - because of the data issues above. But it also shows self consumed solar after 1900 - despite the graph below showing (correctly) there is no solar to self consume… (the solar production comes via ModBus from the three inverters)

Not sure where to start… My Phase 1 Import comes from an IotaWatt (Watts = (Phase_1) max 0). My Phase 1 export comes from Watts = ((Phase_1) min 0) abs. I guess the Wh is calculated as part of the IotaWatt integration.

Not a big fan of the HA Energy thing. It has some deficiencies and IMO is hard to use. That said there are a lot of folks using it with IoTaWatt.

I’ve added capabilities to IoTaWatt to mitigate some of the deficiencies in HA with respect to import and export energy. To use it, you must do the import/export calculations with an IoTaWatt integrator and export the results to HA. It’s all explained in the docs here:

Using the IoTaWatt integration for three-phase would be like the split-phase example except that you would add in the third Main in the integration and all three solar inverter outputs. Sending three import/export tallies to HA isn’t necessary, you would simply send the combined result. I don’t believe it has any tariff implications and if you want to look at it for analytic purposes, Graph+ on the IoTaWatt will give you more detailed and accurate information simpler and quicker.

The TOU tariff issues are definitely HASS. I never got into it as it seems way overly complicated to do. I like the model in PVoutput that is more straightforward and will work great even without an IoTaWatt integrator because PVoutput does not suffer from the lack of a maintained time-series database as HA Energy.

Thanks! Ok, So I set up an integrator for each phase main CT clamp (I want to deal with each phase individually).

I then set up two outputs for each integrator value:
.pos for import
.neg for export

Took a while to get values - but now working…

1 Like

1 Like