Around 09:00 on 04/01/24 I noticed that the IoTaWatt display appeared to have frozen with the latest update occurring at 18:45 the previous evening.
On the odd occasion in the past when the IoTaWatt unit has frozen, a restart has usually fixed the problem, but on this occasion the problem was not resolved. A Visit to the IoTaWatt unit found a LED sequence of ‘Red Green Red’.
Hoping to find a solution, I visited community.iotawatt.com and searched for ‘Red Green Red’. I did find one topic mentioning the removal of the connector for the AC supply whilst keeping the IoTaWatt operational had cured an issue. So I tried disconnecting the AC supply connector for a short period and the LED changed to the normal pulsating green.
That said, I’m puzzled why recorded data in Emoncms is available from 18:45 on 03/01/2024 onwards, except for a portion of missing data from 07:20 to 09:20 on the 04/01/2024.
I tried reloading the data into Emoncms from 03/01/2024 but the graph shows the same period of missing data.
The IoTaWatt also uploads data to PVoutput, and when this is examined the data record is also incomplete.
Copy of the Message Log.
Message Log.txt (9.5 KB)
I am hoping you can make sense of what has happened and let me know if I need to do anything to avoid the same issue happening again.