New Purchaser require assistance (Canada Split phase 120V/240v)

Hi,
I have a 150A panel (Quebec, Canada) split phase 120V/240V (picture below) which I would like to integrate with IoTaWatt but have some question before making the order.

1. Main wire very short! The space with my main power line is concerning as they really made it very short! I’ll see if there is possibility to get some extra from the outside but I doubt. Which CT do you recommend? Does anyone have similar experience or suggestion?

2. Due to space also inside the main panel, I’m looking to go with solid core 9 mm. Other than just disconnecting the wire, should I see any issue vs split core?

Thanks

I think I can answer this one bob…let me know if I’m overstepping ya…
U should have np with the solid core 9mm cts, good idea with limited space…
U can use the 100amp cts for your mains if they will fit your wire size., getting some slack by removing some of that caulking to fit the cts around the wire might help…
also offered are the cts that clamp on differently which could make it easier to get around those short wires

I would agree with @Jhorner000 and I would even go the route of the clamp CTs for your two main connections. Easier to work with and rather small. I had to switch to these having a rather tight panel as well. Mine were both short and rather tight, so no play to work with. The clamp models worked like a charm. Based on the number of CTs you could do split core if you like. Looks like more space than I have in my panel, but the solid are also a good option. Just my thoughts based on the install over a year ago. Love this product!

I’ll go along with @Jhorner000 on the solid-core, although I think the split-core could fit in many circuits and you may need 100A for that big circuit.

I can’t see enough of the mains to say, but it looks like your best shot is the ECS25200 clamp toe CT. I strongly recommend that you have an electrician do any manipulation of those mains as they will be live and you don’t know what you are pulling. Those wires are not fused and you could burn your house down.

Thanks all for your input. So I went and measure the wire size:

• 2x main wire is 16mm (150A)
  • 2x Shed Sub-Panel 9mm (50A) -> For this one I’ll used a 100A/16mm

For the main CTs, I took a few minutes to create two models in sketch up and print them to see the real size and which one fit better.

The ECS25-200 clamp is printing right now, so I’ll get back to you later.

2 Likes

So I print all 4 models and it provides me a good idea in terms of space.

The ESC25-200 clamp is the best in space constraints as the other ECS24-200 didn’t fit for me. Now from the picture below,will there be any issue to have the clamps so close to each other? Can it cause any kind of interference?

As for the normal circuit, both CT seems fine so I’ll go with a mixed of solid-core (ECOL09) and some split-core (ECS10-50) to move them easily if required

Based on the recommendation and the space test I did, so I think I’ll go with:
2x ECS25-200 - 200A (Clamp)
2x ECS16-100 - 100A (Split-Core)
4x ECS10-50 - 50A (Split-Core)
6x ECOL09 - 50A (Solid Core)

@overeasy

• I can’t find a way in the bundle to add the ESC10-50 and ECOL09?
  • For shipping to Canada (Quebec), is it possible to split the shipping in two so I can take the advantage of the flat rate $10? Also is the flat rate USPS?

Thanks

2 Likes

I just have to say that I like seeing how so many here on the board tackle various issues or problems. Someone who has 3D printed up a few CT samples to confirm space is just too cool. I cannot answer your shipping question, but I like the way to approach a challenge; a real engineer.

2 Likes

Ditto on the resourcefulness.

I see no problem with the two CTs interfering with one another.

There is none. You can get the bundle 20% on one or the other, and the rest go at regular price.

Sure. Solve that problem and the one above by ordering the ECOL09 separately.

1 Like

Thanks @overeasy just pass the order with some extra CTs in 2 separate order. Looking forward to use it and interface it with Home Assistant.

Thanks @quella :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey starwolf73,

I’m also in Quebec and I plan to make my order in the next few days… as soon as I know exactly what I need. :wink:

If I understand correctly, our 200A electrical input from Hydro-Quebec (HQ) is a single-phase 120/240V and we need 2x200A CTs for the mains because it’s 200A at 240V so two times 200A at 120V?

How did your install go? Do your readings match the ones from HQ?

I also use Home Assistant BTW and I have some Stelpro Maestro thermostats and a Z-Wave switch so far. I used to have an Ecobee on a central HVAC unit, but I just changed my heat pump and it’s the main reason why I want to start monitoring energy usage. I now have a multi-zone MXL24 heat pump from Daikin with 3 indoor wall mounted units. It replaces a York 30,000 BTU that had the furnace and blower in the attic. I didn’t want to reinstall in the attic because of all the risks involved.

It’s just too bad that I didn’t have the IoTaWatt before changing the heat pump… I will have to rely on readings from HQ to compare the old and new systems. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe I should include some pictures. My main wires are 15.8mm diameter with the envelope.

That’s pretty straightforward. Two 200A CTs for the mains.

Putting on my building science hat, HVAC in the attic is a bad idea if the attic is not part of the conditioned space.

Thanks for the quick answer! Just need to count how many CTs I need and place the order… maybe I’ll simple get the max and figure out where to use them later. They are not that expensive. :wink:

Going a little bit off topic about the HVAC… I got the same opinion from many people and from my extensive reading on the subject. It’s the previous owners that had this system installed in 2000 and it was popular around that time because it’s comfortable, silent and it saves space. It’s actually pretty nice when it works well and if the equipement and ducts in the attic are properly insulated. I installed an Ecobee 3 when I bought the house in 2018 and it almost gave a second life to that old York heat pump until the main fan failed on the compressor this summer and the timing was right to shut it down for good.

Since then, many compagnies stopped installing the furnace/blower in the attic, got sued or went out of business. A few still agree to do it, but they install more protection for potential water leaks. The government incentive programs don’t even give any money for that type of system because of the bad efficiency. I think it’s possible to get a government grant for a combination ducted/non-ducted mini-split system, but I got different opinions on that. Supposedly, if the equipement has an Energy Star rating and it’s approved by Neep, it should be OK.

Unfortunatly, there is one thing I really hate about the wall units compared to my old silent central system… the wind noise. Even these “highend” units from Daikin are very noisy as soon as you put the fan in at any speed faster than “night mode”. The 18000 BTU Emura wall unit is the worse. The DB numbers in the specifications don’t tell the whole story believe me! Also, it’s much harder to set an average temperature in the house, but it can also be an advantage if you want to have some rooms hotter/colder than others.

Now I just need Daikin to start selling their new Wifi modules to install them and get everything integrated in Home Assistant!

Hi @jsimon,
Sorry for the delay, so far my installation is working great and my reading with Hydro-Quebec are pretty identical. I have linked my device with Home Assistant via direct connection to InfluxDB from the IotWatt. Using HA Dashboard and Grafana to provide some input and automation.

My central HVAC is a heat pump 2008 adds to an old oil heater in bi-energy plan. So far it is good but I’m having a hard time to install a new controller due to the fact the heat pump is an add-on and not support by many. I have bought a Venstar T7900 which has local API (not interest in any cloud model) that can integrate with HA but still not installed, hopefully will relook at it in my free time.

If you can, I suggest also to filled it up. Save on price/shipping, better vision of your consummation and automation more possible since you don’t have false alert (Clothes washers/dryers, dishwasher, kitchen oven,etc). Also you don’t want to play to much in that panel, so better do once and forget ;).

Feel free to PM.

Ciao!

I received my IoTaWatt very quickly and made my installation with 6 channels (2 mains 200A and 4 x 50A). I ordered the max I could with the 20$ flat shipping deal. :wink:

I am very happy with the result and look forward to integrate more with HA when I’ll have time. Thanks for the suggestions about InfluxDB and Grafana. I do have to learn those, but I’m sure it’s not rocket science.

So far, I am monitoring my heat pump, water heater and 2 baseboard heating units (gym and garage which are not heated by the heat pump), all using a CT on one cable and doubling the output. I also created an output with the main minus my sub-channels to get everything else.

Good job overeasy! Your device and software are awesome!

Thanks also to starwolf73 for your post!