Pre purchase questions

I have had a TED-5000 for over 10 years now and it is barely hanging in there now. The CMOS battery is dead so NTP fails with any power outage or reboot. And one of my three CT’s reports live data, but fails to store any history. I was really hoping that the new TED 2.0 would be announced by now but they went with a TED 2.0 Lite (AKA their Sense version) to be released before their PRO release, and the Lite release has been delayed at least 8 months now. So here I am. I have looked at emporia vue 2, but am 98% sure I want to go with IoTaWatt. But i have a couple of questions before I do.

1. Do the power adapters (USB Power and AC Reference transformer) need to be installed on a dedicated circuit? My TED would pick up noise depending on where it was plugged in throughout the house. I ultimately put the base unit on one of the legs going to my EV charger and it has been there for 8+ years now. The MTU’s are powered by a dedicated breaker in the box, which I’m thinking I won’t need anymore if moving to IoTaWatt.

2. The power adapters draw very little to nothing, correct? Stemming from the first question. My TED base unit is plugged into an outlet that I tapped off of that is going to my EV charger. I have a 240V 3 wire 15A outlet that my old school charger plugs into. Half way between my main panel and the outlet, one one of the 2 load legs, I put in a 15A standard outlet. My thought was to plug in both power adapters here. The EV charge only pulls 3.3 kW at 12A.

3. I believe the answer is no, but I haven’t found a concrete answer. Is the IoTaWatt capable of including any utility rates? I’m on TOU, plus I track my monthly charge (kWh & cost) for my EV charging. Is this an option in IoTaWatt or does it only track the usage and I would need something else to correlate the cost with.

Thanks in advance. I’m looking forward to my purchase and better yet getting the unit installed and my old TED pulled.

No. The USB power supply will work fine on any circuit. The AC Reference Can be on any circuit but the closer to the panel the better to best represent the voltage in the panel. The EV charger circuit that you describe should be OK as long as it’s #12 wire or better.

Correct.

IoTaWatt doesn’t have a tariff capability. It uploads to several analytic engines like PVoutput and eMoncms that have dashboard and tariff capabilities as well as phone apps and such.

1 Like