Question about ECOL09 CTs

Hi all,

I will be ordering Ecol09 solid core CTs, but I am unsure about the exact specs; this is for 20A circuits, 220V / 50Hz.
I found this spec sheet: http://www.echun-elc.com/UploadFiles/20171118171733625.pdf

… which seems to imply that I have a choice for outputs. Should I go for a
ECOL09-20 with a 50mA output if that actually exists?

If not, would you recommend ECOL09-20/20mA or ECOL09-50/50mA as far as precision is concerned?

Thanks!

The 20A/20mA or the 50A/50mA produce exactly the same output in the 0-20A range. They are both what is commonly called “1000 turns”. I recommend (and sell) the ECOL09-L59D which is 50A/50mA.

I know there is a lot of discussion about precision in other places, but I would respectfully offer that whatever problems that advice is intended to solve do not exist with IoTaWatt. That is to say I don’t believe it is fundamentally a problem with precision of the CT or value of the burden resistor. I believe it has more to do with other fundamental issues with the devices associated with that commentary.

You don’t have to overthink this. 50A CTs will give you excellent results with IoTaWatt.

Sounds great, thanks! You wouldn’t ship 10 of them to France would you :slight_smile:
If not I’ll try alibaba, that seems to be the only option here.

Franck

BTW, I am looking at those CTs because space is at a premium in my panel, and because it gets really hard to make sure that a split core CT is snugly closed once it is buried in a forest of cables.

I’m looking for solid-core CT’s, as the split-core are too big to fit in certain electrical panels. I’m looking for the recommended Echun ECOL09-L59D, but is not easy to find.

Can someone provide a link to a webshop/marketplace where I can buy that exact type, with 3.5mm jacks? Do they come with TVS protection diode?

1 Like

You can get them directly from Echun. I’ll send you a link tonight. Right now I’m at the beach.

I am looking at 4 or 5 iotawatts for a somewhat complex monitoring system at my place in Adelaide Australia, 2 mains supplies, 3 phase. 4 solar systems, 6 buildings. Some building Distribution boards are low on space, so looking for these ECHUN CTs as well. Echun site doesn’t seem to list the ECOL09 L59 (or at least I can’t seem to find it), Is this equivalent? I would need quite a few and want to be sure I get ones that plug and play with iotawatt.

I am not wedded to the ECHUN CTs, I just want physically small CTs that will plug straight into the iotawatt, with a known configuration that will work. If anyone knows of current suppliers of this in Australia that would be even better, but happy to import too.

That looks like it. The IoTaWatt takes a custom unit - ECOL0950-L59D:

50mA output, 1.5m cord, 3.5mm jack, TVS diode.

I haven’t bought any for more than two years as at the time they were not popular enough to stock. Now, with the 25% import tariff and skyrocketing package delivery cost and delays from China, it would be impossible.

That said, I don’t believe Australia has punitive tariffs and shipping should be better. Contact Kathy at sales@echun-elc.com. Tell her it’s for IoTaWatt and give the specs.

When I was buying them, they came in boxes of 80 and cases of 160.

1 Like

Thanks for the details I will follow up.

I’m not the OP, and I’m in the US, but I too am in need of solid-core CTs for space reasons. I understand costs might be high, but I have reached out to Kathy to inquire about importing some but haven’t heard back yet. Is she still the right contact at Echun?

As of a few months ago, but someone at sales should respond.

These details above were super helpful to source the ECOL09 CTs!
Kathy at Echun was super responsive via email, and about 15 days later those ECOL0950-L59D’s showed up on my doorstep in the US today; 15 for about US$145 total (incl. shipping and fees). Not too bad, considering.

1 Like