Question about Graph+ Data

Only have about a weeks worth of monitored data now. I have 2 panels (1 100A and 1 200A) and I was trying to set up a couple of graphs to monitor the total amperage in both panels. I’ve attached 3 graphs showing a one hour window, a 24 hour window and a 7 day window. As you can see, the 1 hour graph clearly shows an 80+ amp draw on the 100A panel. As you stretch out the time frame the value changes to 55+ amps for the 24hr graph, then 25+ amps for the 7 day graph. Took me a few min to figure out what I think is going on, but I wanted to make sure I understood and possibly get help to figure out the best way to monitor these panels. What I think is happening is as you stretch out the time on the graph, you also stretch out the time on the grouping, going from 5sec to 2min to 20min. I’m guessing this grouping is averaging the values across that time making them somewhat lower than any peaks that might be occurring… I guess my question is how can you look at a month’s worth of data and determine the peak?

Dave

I’ve not tried to upload pictures before so I hope this works.

Hi Dave,

You are right. IoTaWatt is showing the average Amps in each group (interval). Same will happen if you look at Watts, Volts, VA, Hz. It’s different with Wh and VARh where it shows the total Wh for the interval.

So your question is how do you get the peak? The answer is that the best you can do with Graph+ is to plot one hour or less of data. With that, the interval is five seconds, and the data points are the five second averages. The “Data Statistics” at the bottom will show you the min and max for the period.

An alternate solution is to upload that data to a influxDB, where you can query the database for the maximum value in each interval. You can use grafana to plot the maximums (or minimums, averages, median - see influxquery for all the things it can do).