Recommendation for Cellular routers

We have a deployment that is in a remote area without internet connectivity. Has anyone in North America had good luck with a cost effective wireless solution that would pair well with IoTaWatt. Egauge recommends multitech units, but these require RS485 input. I’m trying to avoid cobbling together different technology. Thanks!

I am in Australia so am only talking theoretically - but you can get a small router with a USB port that would do this - i have this as a backup for a number of sites for different requirements - we then use a USB 4G modem - we can purchase a cheap 365 day plan here in Australia with reasonable data limits and just insert the SIM into the USB modem.

This is the router we use flashed with OpenWRT

https://www.amazon.com.au/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Repeater-Performance-Compatible/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=asc_df_B073TSK26W/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341791782377&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4553526377714266392&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071798&hvtargid=pla-491876105460&psc=1

It acts as a WIFI Access point for the IOTAWatt and then uses the USB 4G dongle to communicate with the internet (we use this for remote support - but exactly the same concept) - we then use a 5m USB extension cable to get a reasonable amount of height for the 4G modem

Craig

1 Like