I currently live in an old house and I am trying to get to the bottom of my power usage. I’ve come to find out the power across the mains is grossly imbalanced and I have some inefficient electronics, etc which I am working on. The goal is to do what I can within reason to reduce my electrical consumption to properly size for an eventual solar system.
I’ve seen a few install pics and videos but nothing that showed a step by step so thought I would take few pics of my setup as I progress.
My main breaker is in the basement and I initially screwed the IotaWatt box directly to the left of the breaker box. After seeing a lot of clean installs I knew I wanted to tidy it up and not leave wires hanging everywhere.
I like the clean install of the Orbit box. The original set up was an orange extension cable which was not going to work long term so I knew I had to add an outlet. I figured I might as well add a couple of extra outlets while I am going to all the work.
Adding the Orbit box & leveling:
Adding two gang handy box (which I had to replace due to being incompatible with my face plate):
Basic setup leveled:
Two gang box w/ outlets - one GFCI and one with USB ports:
Wiring the USB outlet in Orbit Box:
Two gang box wired - the GFCI has a night light which is handy:
Finished set up:
If anyone has questions let me know. I plan on digging into the software side maybe in the next few months, but for now I’m pretty satisfied. I also need to look into load balancing the breaker box. Some of the CT’s may need to be re positioned - specifically the HVAC / Furnace.
For now I’m pretty happy with this set up.
Edit: forgot to mention that I used a 1" Schedule 40 PVC for the CT lines. I had to use a dremel to open up the Orbit box hole a bit. Same thing on the other hole for the 120V power but I used 3/4" .