Trouble upgrading - resolved

Received an iotawatt from a friend. It’s currently running 02_04_00. I have tried to upgrade it using the manual update method with no success. I can download updated firmware and copy it to the device but when I follow instructions to flash it like so…

http://iotawatt.local/update?release=02.08.03

I get the following error

Not found: GET, URI: /update

Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

The bottom of the unit notes it is a Model W14 v5 if that helps at all.

Dan

02_04_00 predates the manual update feature. It was released in March of 2019 and was superseded in January of 2020. Nevertheless, the unit should auto update if connected to the internet. What is your auto-update class set to? I would recommend MINOR. If it is set but not updating, please post the recent message log.

** Restart **

SD initialized.
Real Time Clock not initialized.
Reset reason: Software/System restart
Trace: 18:5, 1:6, 1:3, 1:4, 1:5[14], 14:0, 14:1, 1:6, 1:3, 1:4, 1:5[20], 20:0, 20:1, 20:2, 20:3, 20:31, 20:32, 20:4, 20:42, 1:6, 1:1, 1:2, 9:0, 9:0, 8:4, 8:6, 8:8, 8:9, 1:2, 1:3, 10:2, 10:3
ESP8266 ChipID: XXXXXXX
IoTaWatt 5.0, Firmware version 02_04_00
SPIFFS mounted.
Local time zone: -8:00
Using Daylight Saving Time (BST) when in effect.
device name: IotaWatt
Connecting with WiFiManager.
MDNS responder started for hostname IotaWatt
LLMNR responder started for hostname IotaWatt
HTTP server started
WiFi connected. SSID=NSNetWork, IP=192.XXX.X.XXX, channel=11, RSSI -62db
timeSync: service started.
statService: started.
Updater: service started. Auto-update class is MINOR
Updater: Auto-update class changed to NONE
Updater: Auto-update class changed to MINOR
Updater: Invalid response from server. HTTPcode: 302

You’ve got a lot going on here and it’s hard to put this in context. The immediate problem of no auto-update appears to be caused by something blocking the internet access to the IoTaWatt.com site and the auto-update component that provides current version information. The 302 is a redirect to another URL. There is nothing in the IoTaWatt.com website that would issue redirects, so I believe this is being generated by some other intermediate process, possibly in your LAN/WAN infrastructure or your ISP.

Not sure if time information is suppressed when unknown in that old release, but it’s not present in the somewhat edited message log that you posted. So, I don’t know if the IoTaWatt was able to access a time server to set the time. That causes me to question if the IoTaWatt has internet access at all.

I would suggest that you try connecting it to a simple clean LAN that has unrestricted internet access, possibly a phone hotspot, at least until the clock is set and the firmware is upgraded to this decade. You might consider replacing the battery and SDcard prior to that as this unit appears to be 4-5 years old and probably disconnected from power for much of that.

1 Like

Doh!

I should’ve known… I hadn’t added the IP to the filter as allowed. :blush:

Appears to be updating now. Thanks!

Dan