Updating Firmware

I’m trying to extend the functionality as well as eliminate some bugs found within the IotaWatt firmware. I can pull down the repo, make changes, compile using PlatformIO, but I’m struggling to figure out how to install the firmware onto the actual device so I can test these fixes. Are there any documents/how-to someone can point me to?

Thanks,
-Vaedyn

Without knowing your platform, I can’t make a specific recommendation, but many, including me, use the vscode package with PIO. You can compile and upload in one swoop fell.

A more basic approach would be to google esptool, which is a python program to upload, and find a tutorial for your environment. The IoTaWatt is a nodeMCU 1.0 with an ESP12S.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I do use VSCode with PIO but I’m missing the piece about how to actually upload it onto the device. Everything compiles locally (it produces the bin file) but I’m just not sure how to set up the device as a remote device. Any help would be appreciated in that regard.

Connect the IoTaWatt via USB (replacing the USB power supply). Then use the
PlatformIO: upload
command. On my windows 10 system the there is a shortcut on the PIO taskbar at the bottom:

1 Like