Hello! Doing some investigation and happened to find IoTaWatt and am really looking forward to having some solid data in terms of my power needs - at some point in the future I’ll be looking to add solar power generation to the mix (but that’s not any time soon).
I have a new house, and was fairly hands on in terms of the specifics of what was installed electrically - we have 400A service from the street, and from the exterior 400A panel, it comes in to two 200A subpanels (each next to one another). I still have several open spaces for new circuits, but off hand don’t have an idea of how many individual breakers I’d need (I can do an accounting of it later, because I know a few of the double pole breakers are large, about 60A).
Enough rambling, let me see if I can compose a few (more) succinct questions:
- What type of sensors would I need for the mains? Just one that handles 400A, or two that each handle 200A? How do those work together if separate?
- Being that I have multiple panels, I assume I can have a single base unit in between both panels, and organize the bevy of low voltage wires entering each panel?
- Being that there’s only 14 inputs for individual circuits, what is used to join multiples together (I am certain I have more than 7 circuits in each panel)?
- Assuming larger circuits (like 60A) need higher amperage sensors.
- Where do the circuit sensors clamp to, around the hot leads? How does that work for double pole breakers with two hots, do they require multiple sensors?