What hardware to buy?

Some facts:

• 200A base meter service
  • 125A panel with 19 breakers

I may consider upgrading my panel to a 200A panel to support EV charging and might add solar panels to the roof at some point in the future. I say may because I might not actually need a 200A panel to support EV charging since I don’t have major electrical appliances outside of a electric washer & dryer & 3x mini splits (gas hot water heater, range, & fireplace).

My goals:

• measure electrical usage at the aggregate level
  • eventually measure electrical usage at the circuit level

What Iotawatt hardware should I buy?

I think the answer is:

• Iotawatt V5 base unit
  • AccuCT 100A x 16mm split-core × 2
  • AccuCT 50A x 10mm split-core × 12

Eventually, it seems like I would need to buy another Iotawatt V5 base unit & 12 ore AccuCT 50A x 10mm split-core if I wanted to have every circuit measured.

Does this seem about right? Also - do you install your CTs yourself or have an electrician do it for you? I’ve installed new outlets but that’s pretty easy since you can turn off the circuit from the panel.

I’d recommend using 200A CTs on the mains. Your mains are 125A and the cables look as though they may be pushing the 16mm opening of the 100A. You woud be future proofing in a world where electricity is growing, and gas is diminishing.

You seem to have been comfortable removing the panel cover. Your panel is not crowded. You can kill the main to install the branch CTs. The mains themselves are very accessible and should be pretty easy to install without getting near the hot terminal lugs. That said, if you are nervous, get an electrician or other experienced person.

I’d recommend using 200A CTs on the mains.

That’s a good idea. This would also future proof if I upgraded to a 200A panel, right?

cables look as though they may be pushing the 16mm opening

Is this 16 mm in circumference? I could easily just measure the circumference to confirm

You seem to have been comfortable removing the panel cover.

Yeah - but that’s pretty trivial since it’s just 6 screws. Am I missing something here?

Yes

Diameter

No, but some folks get the heebie jeebies around a panel. It’s important to know what you can touch and what you shouldn’t once you open it up.

My rule of thumb is don’t touch exposed copper wire unless it’s the ground wire or any metal.
And that I can touch anything that’s shielded in rubber or plastic.

From CT Basics — IoTaWatt 02_03_20 documentation, I see this, which is why I asked the question:

The installation of CTs can be dangerous and/or cause hazardous situations resulting serious injury or death. Worldwide, there are a variety of electrical conventions, regulations and standards. It is the user’s responsibility to insure that the installer is qualified and all local codes and regulations are followed.

Is there anything in particular I should be watching out for? (I’m in the US so standard 120/240 v service.)

I’m not qualified or insured enough to tell you how to do this. I recommend you get an electrician.