Which ESP8266 with correct form factor

I’m trying to build my own IOTaWatt v5. Not because of price (actually a fully build direct from the shop would be more inexpensive), but because I like to build stuff.

But I obviousley bought the wrong ESP. It’s too wide, and I don’t want to wait for the fas Ali until the development board arrives. So which board I need to buy froM Amazon or Ebay / what do I need to look for?

Best
Sebastian

I have them manufactured in China because I need ESP12S with FCC ID printed on top for FCC compliance, but you can use any of the ESP12E that are common. I can’t make sense of the various model designations out there.

The PCB should be 1" wide and the pins 0.9" CC.
The serial interface chip should be CP2102, which allows much faster flashing and 115,200 baud serial link.

Here are two. You can see the square CP2102 right behind the USB socket. The one on the left is an ESP12S as used in production, the one on the right I probably bought on eBay but would work fine.

1 Like

Probably a question for readers of this forum. I have had V5 boards made from the published gerbers, and I am experiencing difficulty in obtaining ESP8266 modules with the correct form factor (25.4mm/1 inch width).
Here in Australia, all the modules available from various suppliers are 31mm wide. I have made an adaptor out of Veroboard to accomodate the additional module width, but it makes the populated board much higher, which I want to avoid.
My question is, does anyone know of a supplier who has the narrower modules, ie 1 inch/25.4 mm width?

Regards,
Dave

This one looks like it might be the correct width…but I am not certain.

How many do you need?

Hi ogiewon, This one is a possibility and looks well made, so I think I will order two from Amazon, and if they are not correct, at least I can return them. I will update this post on the result when I receive them.

Hi Bob,
I need two, one for my house and one for my daughters house, As you would have seen, a possible Amazon listing “may” be the correct form factor, so I will order two and see how they go. If they turn out to be unsuitable, I will come back to you.

Regards,
Dave

1 Like

As per ogiewon’s suggestion I ordered two modules from Amazon Australia and having received them yesterday, I can confirm that they are the correct form factor. Also I received a response from an Australian Ebay seller that their boards with the 340 USB interface are also the correct form factor. This seller is known as maker-zone. Hope this information helps anyone building their own Iotawatt.

Regards,
Dave

1 Like

Glad to hear they were the correct ones!

Hello.

@DaveC - Regarding:

where did you see the gerber files published?

Hi wwk,
I can’t recall where I found them, and I search has failed to find the link, but if you PM me with your email address, I can send you a copy.

Regards,
Dave

Hi wwk,
Just checking that you received my response to your nominated email address that I sent on 28 Feb?

Regards,
Dave

Yes I did. Sorry for the silence.
A LOT of material to go through - many thanks!

Did not have time yet - tense atmosphere recently.

No problem, wwk, just wanted to make sure the information got through to you. Good luck and best wishes!