Will IoTaWatt fit in my panel?

Hey all - I’m very much a novice when it comes to this stuff, but we recently got solar installed and I want to make sure that we’re using our power efficiently and will connect any large loads to my smarthome to tweak things dynamically. I’m really excited to get more visibility on our power usage!

But, looking inside my panel, which is 60+ years old, there is not a lot of room in there. And the mains from the power company come into the box really tight.

Based on these pictures, anything in particular that I should be aware of when it comes to buying/installing this system? I will be hiring an electrician to do the work, but I think this will all be new to them. Will the CT clamps fit? Will I need another box to house the IoTaWatt device in and run the wires to it? Any tips?

Thanks so much!

• Ryan

That’s a pretty tight panel. The IoTaWatt is mounted outside of the panel. It doesn’t look as if it would be possible to put CTs on the incoming lines above the main breaker, but it may be possible to install on the bussbars below it. It would be tight. One positive is that the bussbars should not be hot when the main breaker is off.

The larger 240V branch circuits look manageable. The 120V circuits are very close together and probably only select circuits can be measured.

You will need a resourceful electrician willing to make it work.

1 Like