Access to cloud version of INFLUXDB

I am attempting to redirect my IOTAWATT from a local instance of INFLUXDB to the cloud version of INFLUXDB. I cant figure out how to set the URL to include the AWS url and my tokens. Has anyone done this? Is this possible to do? Would appreciate any help that you can provide…

Thanks,

Mel

The cloud is a big place. Can you be more specific?

The URL is: https://www.influxdata.com/products/influxdb-cloud/

Ok, got it.

I had looked at this awhile ago and it seemed inappropriate for the relatively low data volume of IoTaWatt. At the time I believe the lowest plan was the Hobby plan at $50/month. Pretty expensive hobby. If I could get $50 a month from users I’d give them the IoTaWatt. Kinda like printer ink.

I see that they now have a free plan that looks as if it would work ok, except that it only retains the data for 30 days. I suppose that’s fine for looking at recent activity and doing any longer term analysis directly with the IoTaWatt data.

There is also a pay-as-you-go plan, and I haven’t tried to estimate the cost for that. Have you looked into that?

In any event, it looks as if this service requires adding some query fields to the URL and also some method of specifying a token. I’ll have to look into that. IoTaWatt already supports the username/password authorization, so the token is something new.

It looks from the CURL example that it accepts HTTP posts. If it turns out they require HTTPS, that’s a show stopper unless you use a proxy like Nginx to translate.

I’ll take a closer look when I get some time.

I worked on this for a few hours, and have to say it is unlikely I’ll support this anytime soon.

This cloud offering is a new version of influx designated 2.0. The documentation is confusing in that it works with no changes to the influx 1.x (what IoTaWatt supports), yet the API interface in the cloud offering requires a different authorization protocol and seems to do away with the notion of a “database” in favor of identifiers for “org”[anization] and “bucket”.

I made those changes, only to discover that the query system appears to be quite different and the documentation states that it returns CSV tables rather than JSON as the influx 1.x does.

Even if these things can be overcome, the cloud service requires HTTPS. The ESP8266 does not have adequate memory or appropriate tools to do that, although a proxy server can be used to make the jump.

Sorry.