InfluxDB naming (+please add confirmation of Delete)

I was poking around my IoTaWatt yesterday and was looking at my InfluxDB settings
when I by accident hit “Delete” instead of “Cancel” and poof ! just like that it was gone.
Alright, read / think before you click - but could you please add a confirmation for us who don’t :wink:

Upon adding things back in I figured I might was well take the opportunity to restructure things a bit
but to my surprise I’m not able to add two uploaders with the same name, the 2nd overwrites the 1st.
This issue appears to have been addressed in the past, but it’s “back” again ?

Running FW 02_07_05

You can upload the latest setup app to resolve the duplicate name problem.

index.htm (155.6 KB)

There are a lot of opportunities to delete things in the app. Covering them all would be a big project. Immediately after you delete something, you can recover the previous config using the file manager. It is in the root directory called config-1.txt. Download it, change the name to config+1.txt and upload it.

Edit: refresh your browser window after returning to the setup app to cause it to load the restored config.

1 Like

Good to know.

What about the naming issue?
Can that be worked around by changing the names in the config file and uploading it per your instructions above?

That index.htm should resolve your naming issue.

Sorry, missed that part reading it on my phone, thank you very much!

The Index file worked great, I’m now able to set up multiple data points with the same name,

Another question though and maybe I’m misunderstanding this…

The documentation mentions “stacking” the naming variables into sub groups such as this:
$name.$units

I’m unable to do that, as soon as I enter the period the “Save” button disappears.
It’s not a huge issue for me, but it would have been nice to be able to group by name and device.

i.e. Name . Device >> Unit
or “MAIN” >> Leg 1 / Leg 2 >> KWH/Watt/A etc.

The docs should be changed to eliminate the period. While virtually any string can be used as a measurement name in influx, most that contain special characters need to be quoted when used in queries and write protocol. So IoTaWatt requires that the names be composed of alphanumerics and also allow the underscore “_” character.

So, you can use $name$units or $name_$units.

Ah, but if you skip the period and/or use an underscore I’ll just be a long string.

I assumed / hoped the period would create a subset within the name/category.

i.e.

$Name.$Device with $Value as measurement would result in…

MAIN
– Leg_1 kWh
Watt

-- Leg_2               kWh
                                    Watt

Rather than…
MAINLeg_1 or MAIN_LEG_1

Would this be possible to implement?
INFLUX supports it.

1 Like