My home install

I figured I’d start a post here detailing how my setup is going

Like many of you guys, I got the Orbit box. I replaced the GFCI with a regular outlet with the tabs broken, so I can can have one side of the outlet on one leg, and the other side on another. I then have dual VT’s. Since I’m very interested in monitoring generator power, I want to get measurements of both sides of the panel. It was a squeeze getting that bottom VT in, I had to remove the boot from the wire coming out. Just fits though!

Initially I was going to put it here on the outside

But I settled on the other side of the wall

I just mounted some 2x4 between the studs and screwed it in

My power setup is a little different. I’m not sure how “to code” the extension cord end is, but its plenty safe. There is two circuits coming in for the VT’s, and then the other circuit actually comes off my UPS. So the IotaWatt is powered all the time no matter what. Just the 5v USB PSU is going on that

Here is how I got the power out of the UPS in my garage

It comes to this junction box where it ends up to IoTaWatt, as well as another device

Next step is to get the 2 x 15a breakers installed for the monitoring circuits, and then get the CT’s in!

1 Like

Looks like it might have fit better if you turned it around and checked “reverse” in the config.

Wouldn’t fit at all reversed sadly

Thanks for the update and pics. Very helpful to me.

With regards to the VTs, I am wondering if the Orbit enclosure’s receptacle face plate could be modified to support the Leviton (other manufactures out there) 1306 or 1374 plugs. That way they could be rotated 90 degrees with the hope there is enough spacing between the VTs.

Another idea is to leave the receptacle as is for the USB power source and then modify the divider plate (separates the “back” and “front” inside the box) to have the two VT plugs wherever they fit/work best.

Yeah, if I were to do it again, I might just get a large project box and modify it for my needs. Some people with one VT get by pretty good, but there a bit much modification for my liking for my setup. Then again, I’m still super happy with how its coming.

I’m glad I got the two VT’s, as now my voltage reading is dead on.

VERY happy with the accuracy. I’ve actually blamed it for being wrong a few times, only to double check and find that no, its actually completely correct. Mainly with how much power my lights and garage door opener sitting doing NOTHING uses (The Misc_Garage)

Next I need to add CT’s for the Generac 27kw Generator, the 30a Portable Generator Inlet, Solar Power and Grid power which will end up with a full IotaWatt. Wish I had a few more inputs for other things in my garage, but its no big deal

I could have just put some CT’s on the main lugs of my panel and been done with it, but I want separate charts for generators etc

Put an outlet in the junction box with the UPS power so I can plug lights etc in there if I have the sub panel turned off when messing with it. Added a sticker so someone visiting doesn’t plug a 15a saw into the UPS…

I understand the desire to look at the two legs in balancing the generator, but just wanted to revisit something that I think needs to be out there so that others don’t get the idea that one 120V VT is sub-par.

This old post goes over the reasons for voltage variation between legs, how that affects accuracy (very little), and why a single 240V transformer is my preference.

Yeah I agree with your points, I think for 99% of people measuring just one side is fine, and saves money for another VT, and gains you an extra input

I want to monitor in detail the power coming from both my big generator, but also my small generator. And, I’d also like the ability to detect a bad/loose neutral. If one leg was 110v and the other 130v, something is up. If the VT was on the 110v and doubled it to 220v, you may assume everything is fine, when its actually something you’d need to look out for

This is fantastic.

Its interesting to see the power factor on my Garage UPS

Got the rest of the CT’s in there, so far so good

Just need to verify the L1 and L2 for the Generac and Inlet, its possible I have them swapped. And figure out the weird nighttime Solar. I’m thinking of ditching the Garage Rack monitoring since I can just view the UPS stats, and then throwing a CT on the other leg of the solar too, and seeing what that gets me

I’ll be ordering another VT, and pulling that off the circuit powering the Envoy. That will get me reference voltage for solar and the “Main” readings when running on Generator

So far so good, I’ve used the data to balance my L1 and L2 loads which should make it much easier to run on portable generator, and better in general for the Generac

Ditching the garage rack UPS is no biggie, as I can view the load of that anyway from the UPS stats

I’m also planning to perhaps ditch the pool pump too, and then buy another IoTaWatt for the Garage Panel. That will let me measure many more circuits including some possible future EV circuits

Then, I’ll get a third, for my House Panel

I’m starting to not like this Orbit box. Yeah its nice to look at, but getting all those wires in there is a pain. Maybe I just need to take it apart and spend a bit more time with zip ties getting it neat

Today I swapped out the CT for my solar and pushed the plate back on and screwed the cover back on, and whoops!

Thankfully it was just a 3.5mm extension which I have spare of. Would have been a real pain if I ruined a 200a CT!

Got the data into InfluxDB, now to figure what I want charts of…

This is where I’ve got to, if anyone has any suggestions on how I should better show the Amps and Watts of each leg, I’d appreciate the feedback. It seems a bit odd now essentially having two graphs with the same information, just one amps and one watts

Got my Solar VT in today, tapped in a line on the 15a circuit in the Combiner that powers the Envoy

Here is where I’m at on my power dashboard

4 Likes

Generac Dashboard

And Portable Generator Dashboard

1 Like

Tested the portable generator panel today, works great! It’s fantastic actually being able to see these metrics. Before I just had to guess if I was overloading it

I also confirmed the solar measurements are now correct since I have that VT sitting on the grid side