Strange characters at home screen


I am trying to log into my iotawatt device and I keep getting strange characters, the web interface is not loading correctly. I had tried restarting (unpower/repower) and this is still the issue. I have a picture below - any help is appreciated!

This looks like it could be a problem with the SDcard. Is this a very old unit?

Sure its a few years old. I just recently moved so it hadn’t been used for 6 months either. I just took the SD card out, it has a funky download folder. Not sure if I can format this SD card or how to reflash it with the software?

last entry

SD initialized.
5/22/22 11:52:43z Real Time Clock is running. Unix time 1653220363
5/22/22 11:52:43z Reset reason: Software/System restart
5/22/22 11:52:43z Trace: 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 1:4, 1:3, 10:2, 10:21, 10:21
5/22/22 11:52:43z ESP8266 ChipID: 416960
5/22/22 11:52:43z IoTaWatt 4.x, Firmware version 02_05_02
5/22/22 11:52:43z SPIFFS mounted.
5/22/22 11:52:44z Local time zone: +0:00
5/22/22 11:52:44z device name: Iota1
5/22/22 11:52:44z MDNS responder started for hostname Iota1
5/22/22 11:52:44z LLMNR responder started for hostname Iota1
5/22/22 11:52:44z HTTP server started
5/22/22 11:52:44z timeSync: service started.
5/22/22 11:52:44z statService: started.
5/22/22 11:52:45z dataLog: service started.
5/22/22 11:52:45z dataLog: New current log created.
5/22/22 11:52:46z dataLog: Last history entry: 05/22/22 11:52:00
5/22/22 11:53:06z WiFi connected. SSID=BELL695, IP=, channel=11, RSSI -66db
5/22/22 11:53:06z Updater: service started. Auto-update class is MAJOR
5/22/22 11:53:06z EmonService: started., node=IotaWatt, interval=10, encrypted
5/22/22 11:53:11z Updater: Auto-update is current for class MAJOR.
5/22/22 11:53:28z EmonService: get input list failing, code: 401
5/22/22 11:53:44z historyLog: service started.
5/22/22 11:53:44z historyLog: Last log entry 05/22/22 11:52:00

Can you upload the file at index.htm please?

INDEX.HTM (105.8 KB)

Sure - the characters are all messed up on it !

I replaced the root folder files with the ones within GitHub.
IoTaWatt/SD at master · boblemaire/IoTaWatt · GitHub

I get a more suitable html view of things, not sure why my Status page won’t display anything though.
iotawatt status

That points to a bad SDcard. You will need a new card, preferably an 8GB SDHD. You are running a very old firmware and you probably downloaded the SD files for the most recent firmware. So there could be a mismatch. You can get the new card and I’ll post what to do with it later today.

You were on a very old release of the firmware. Units running that and prior versions with auto-update MAJOR that didn’t upgrade were effectively frozen there due to a problem downloading firmware through a major Australian ISP. I speculate that the inactive period you mention put you in that group. I’ve restarted auto-update for that group top the latest 02_07_05 that is in use everywhere else. If your system is running at all, it should update over the next 24 hours.

Replaced the SD with new one as recommended and this worked great ! Thanks overeasy.