Unit flashing green with ALPHA auto-update

There is an issue with release 02_06_00 affecting certain ALPHA auto-update users.
So far there have been three reported incidences and at least two were older units that have an incompatibility in the config.txt file.

This will be fixed shortly and a new release substituted, but once encountered, it must be fixed by manually editing the config.txt file. You can do this by carefully removing the SDcard and mounting in another computer. Either upload the file to me in a PM and I’ll fix it, or edit it yourself if you understand the JSON format:

You will probably have had an uploader to Emoncms, or possibly influxDB that was removed or changed two years ago or more. There will be a first level Json element called “server” that should be removed. After editing it out, I recommend checking the file with Json Lint before replacing on the SDcard and restarting.

This affects only users who participate in the ALPHA auto-upgrade class and by doing so have implicitely agreed to help test new releases. There is a skill level implied in subscribing to this early release program.

1 Like

Thanks I successfully recovered my iotawatt.
Was flashing green green green

edit: Ignore me… Just looked at my device and its on version 02_05_12

edit2: So after fixing the config and restarting the unit is reporting 02_05_12 in the status page, but inspecting the log I’m seeing references to 02_06_00

iotamsgs.txt (9.6 KB)

It does look as if, once the config was fixed, your unit downgraded back to 02_05_12. The only explanation I can come up with is that the file it downloads to determine the current release is cached with Cloudflare. So apparently you got an older version of the file. However you had to have gotten the newer version when your unit went to 02_06_00. Very odd, but not out of the realm of possibility as it appears you are in Australia, the land of weird internet.

At some point I expect your IoTaWatt will go back to 02_06_00. That should be uneventful now that your config has been repaired. If you still have a copy of the old config that caused the problem, could you upload to me in a PM so I can test all of the reported failures against the fixes I’m making?

yes I’m in aussie, I have seen the posts regarding weird updates, never been an issue for me that I’ve noticed anyway.

Unfortunately i don’t have a copy of the file before I edited it, but basically I removed the server property as described in this post Green, then off, then green, then off - resolved

1 Like

Perfect! That fixed my issue!

Thanks for posting about this issue. My alpha-configured IoTaWatt had stopped responding yesterday, and when after a couple of tentative reboots I came to reach out here and found the solution already posted. :+1:

Longest part of the repair was digging around in my closet for an SDcard reader.

1 Like

Same for me, I had to remove:
“server”: {
“type”: “none”
},
from config.txt.